Not all meatloaf is created equal my friends. There’s some really gross meatloaf out there and ingredients matter! So today I bring to you my tried and true, simple and healthy turkey meatloaf along with my simple and healthy mashed potatoes.
I personally LOVE ground turkey as the meat for meatloaf. This turkey meatloaf is so simple and healthy, and the best part? It takes very little prep time. AND who doesn’t love mashed potatoes with some meatloaf? I mean really.
Also, right now, we are in week two of the New Year Stronger Me 8 Week Challenge and in just a few weeks we will have our FIRST cooking workshop! While I don’t consider myself a chef by any means, I personally gravitate towards simple and healthy recipes with plenty of flavor. And friends, this is IT. I may or may not be using this recipe for that workshop. We shall see! I’m also having a guest lead a cooking class as well!
P.S. I will be starting to talk more and more about the next eight week challenge starting mid-March. If you weren’t able to join us for this one, I highly encourage you to fill this form out!
Not sure if you’re into meatloaf but you need a different recipe to spice things up at home? Give it a go. I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
SIMPLE AND HEALTHY TURKEY MEATLOAF:
- 2lbs of ground turkey 97% lean 3% fat
- ½ tsp of Himalayn salt
- ¼ tsp of pepper
- ¼ tsp of red pepper flakes (optional but we love a good spice)
- 1 tsp of Kirkland’s No Salt Organic seasoning
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped white mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup oat flour – I just put rolled oats in the blender and grind up *oats will actually prevent the meatloaf from drying out and has way more nutritional benefits than breadcrumbs
- 1 whole egg
- ½ tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- ¼ cup of bbq sauce – We like the Sriracha garlic bbq sauce from Trader Joe’s
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients (except ketchup and bbq) and start to form your loaves in a glass pyrex dish. Make sure you spray the dish with avocado oil spray or line it with parchment paper. Do NOT overmix the ingredients, otherwise it won’t be as tender.
- Pop the turkey meatloaf in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until about 155 degrees then let it sit on the stove top and cool off (and cook a little more until it’s 160 degrees).
- While the turkey meatloaf is cooling off, mix the ketchup and bbq sauce (you may need/want more) in a bowl and then begin to pour it on top of the meatloaf.
And that’s it! I love to pair it with some roasted or mashed potatoes, broccoli, or sweet potatoes. The Sriracha Garlic BBQ Sauce is a MUST in my opinion as the topping, it really gives the turkey a full burst of flavor.
SIMPLE AND HEALTHY MASHED POTATOES:
- 6-9 boiled and soft red potatoes
- 2-3 BIG tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Dash of Salt
- Dash of Pepper
- Sliced green onions (chives) for garnishing
- Bring pot of water to a boil BEFORE adding the potatoes.
- Dice up the potatoes into quarters for faster boiling time.
- Once the water is boiling, add the potatoes. Make sure there’s enough water in the pot to cover the potatoes (so depends on your serving size… I eyeball most of this stuff if you couldn’t tell, it’s hard to fuck up)
- Once they have reached softness, drain the potatoes and put into a medium to large bowl.
- Add the butter and stir around to melt it, then add the greek yogurt, salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.
And that’s it my friends. Super easy. YES, I use Greek yogurt because it’s a HEALTHIER alternative to sour cream and really doesn’t taste different, it just has a thicker consistency, however it blends very nicely with the potatoes. Also it has more protein than sour cream! Who doesn’t benefit from a little more protein in their diet right?
I’m all about simple, healthy and easy recipes. If you have a recipe that you think I might enjoy, I’d love to hear from you!